Thread: Limited Slip Diff noise after changing gear oil

Default Limited Slip Diff noise after changing gear oil

I have a 2008 Tacoma PreRunner Crew Cab with the limited slip differential. At about 36,000 miles I changerd the diff gear oil. First, there was only about 2 quarts in there compared to the 3 quarts specified in the book. First time changed and no signs of leaks.

I replace it with Lucas synthetic 5-75 wt.

Since then there is noise coming from the diff when making turns. The sharper, the higher the noise.

Any thoughts about the cause and whether this is something I should be concerned with? Is this an indication of excess wear in the diff or the clutches?

Hello. I also own a '08 prerunner with limited slip in the sports package. My issue began after dealer service at 30K with no additive added. That was corrected with Toyota additive with negative results. Their solution, change the 3rd member, replace fluids, which also failed to correct the noise/slippage on a turn. Now, dealer contacted Toyota technical who suggested adding two bottles of the Motorcraft limited slip solution..problem resolved. Funny, Toyota using a Ford product.

Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    Hello. I also own a '08 prerunner with limited slip in the sports package. My issue began after dealer service at 30K with no additive added. That was corrected with Toyota additive with negative results. Their solution, change the 3rd member, replace fluids, which also failed to correct the noise/slippage on a turn. Now, dealer contacted Toyota technical who suggested adding two bottles of the Motorcraft limited slip solution..problem resolved. Funny, Toyota using a Ford product.
    Did they identify the cause of the noise/slippage?

Again, we have all had the problem when one thing is done something else happens.

"Reason" provided, not really. Their obvious fix was the replace the 3rd member, add their own limited slip solution. When that didn't remedy the issue, Toyota technical was consulted and the MOTORCRAFT solution appears to have resolved the issue.

But, I have to wonder with the short miles (200 miles) driven could the metal/nylon items in the 3rd member have been damaged.

I really don't have a solution in your situation. My suggestion is to the try the MOTORCRAFT solution, it isn't that expensive. But, I have to wonder how TOYOTA would have responded were the service done at 60K versus the 30K with the drive train under warranty. I would have expected the same response as TOYOTA is trying to regain their reputation.

Good luck...

It’s really great posts.

I have to wonder how TOYOTA would have responded were the service done at 60K versus the 30K with the drive train under warranty. I would have expected the same response as TOYOTA is trying to regain their reputation.

james

If it made no noise before the fluid change and now it makes noise, yeah, I would try a better lube.